Rule 404: It’s sweet summertime, and Squash Season is open!
Summer vegetables are my absolute favorite of them all. Give me a juicy ole tomato, summer squash, zucchini, and crisp green beans any hot day! This recipe epitomizes the end-of-summer vibes: it’s quick, simple, deceivingly decadent, and full of fresh flavors. The creamy goat cheese drizzle added to the herbed squash makes for one tasty and beautiful summer side dish, Summer Squash with Goat Cheese Cream!
We paired our Summer Squash with Goat Cheese Cream with a yummy cauliflower pizza for a simple summer dinner.
This side dish would also pair well with any variety of grilled meat, poultry, or seafood! I’m thinking we may try it next with Steak, Buffalo Chicken Meatballs, or some chicken marinated in my Citrus Balsamic Marinade.
Let’s make us some squash, shall we? First, combine the goat cheese with some heavy cream and a pinch of Kosher salt in a small saucepan.
Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until goat cheese has melted. Set aside.
In a large skillet or Dutch oven, bring 1 tbs. olive oil up to shimmering. Add in some squash and zucchini. Sprinkle with Kosher salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Cook until squash is tender and slightly browned (about 8 minutes).
Now, add in the juice of 1/2 a lemon, fresh oregano, and fresh chives.
Stir to combine and cook an additional couple of minutes.
Once the goat cheese cream has cooled slightly, you’re ready to assemble this beautiful summer dish.
Place the squash on your serving platter, drizzle with goat cheese cream, and garnish with more oregano and chives.
Summer Squash with Goat Cheese Cream
- 4 oz. goat cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Pinch + ½ tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 zucchini cut into half-moons
- 2 yellow squash cut into half-moons
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 1 tbs. fresh oregano leaves plus more for garnish
- 1 tbs. fresh chives chopped (plus more for garnish)
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the goat cheese, heavy cream, and a pinch of Kosher salt. Stir to combine and cook until goat cheese has melted.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add in the zucchini, yellow squash, ½ tsp. Kosher salt, 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, and ¼ tsp. garlic powder. Stir to combine and sauté until squash is softened and slightly browned (about 8 minutes). Add in the lemon juice, oregano, and chives. Stir and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- To serve, lay the squash in an even layer on a large platter. Drizzle the goat cheese cream all over and garnish with additional oregano and chives.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary, and Pineapple House Rules makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.