Rule #296: Southwestern Chicken Soup is good for the soul.
This Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup is the stuff of dump-and-go Slow Cooker dreams! It’s a super simple recipe made even better by the toppings that you add at the end (sometimes, it’s about the destination, not the journey if ya know what I mean). Making a quick slurry 30 minutes before the soup is done gives the soup a wonderful texture, too.
First, place two large chicken breasts (frozen or thawed) in the bottom of your slow cooker.
Sprinkle on about 1 tbs. of taco seasoning (our go-to is always Trader Joe’s).
If the taco seasoning is too spicy for your crew, just sprinkle on a little ground cumin, minced onion, salt, pepper, and a dash of cayenne.
Next, pour in 1 1/2 quarts (6 cups) of chicken stock.
Then, add in 2 cans of white beans that have been drained and rinsed. We like to use Great Northern or cannellini beans.
Next pour in 1 (16-oz.) jar of salsa verde. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
About 30 minutes before the soup is finished, making a slurry that will thicken the soup. First, scoop out about 1 cup of the cooking liquid from the slow cooker. Then whisk in 1/4 cup of cornstarch.
Then pour the slurry into the slow cooker, stir, cover, and continue to cook for 30 minutes.
Finally, shred the chicken with two forks.
The toppings are the real star of this show if I’m being honest. Like I said… it’s about the destination, not the journey here. Some ideas are: fresh cilantro, diced avocado, tortilla chips, Fritos, diced tomatoes, pico de gallo, or jalapeño slices.
We sometimes serve our Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup over this awesome quinoa and brown rice mix from Seeds of Change (found at Costco originally).
However you serve this soup, I hope it’s as good for your soul as it is for ours!
Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1¼ lbs.)
- 1 tbs. taco seasoning
- 1½ quarts 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 (15.5-oz.) cans Great Northern or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16-oz.) jar salsa verde
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- Combine chicken breasts, taco seasoning, chicken stock, beans, and salsa verde in a slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- During the last 30 minutes of cook time, scoop out about 1 cup of the stock using a large measuring cup. Sprinkle on the cornstarch, and whisk to combine. Add the slurry back to the slow cooker, stir, and cook the remaining 30 minutes. Shred the chicken with two forks and serve with your choice of toppings.
- Sour cream
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Chopped tomato
- Tortilla chips
- Sliced avocado
- Pico de gallo
- Jalapeño slices
- Cooked rice or quinoa
- Cooked egg noodles
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary, and Pineapple House Rules makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.