Rule #191: An English degree does not a good videographer make.
Whewwwwiieeeee ladies and gents! This Slow Cooker Cheesy Cauliflower Soup Wonder is the stuff of dreams! Not only does it have bacon AND cheddar, but it’s made of mostly cauliflower! It’s low carb, Keto friendly, allergy friendly, and it tastes like Grandma’s potato soup! It’s also the stuff of dreams because this will be my first ever “cooking video” describing step-by-step how to make this little pot of deliciousness. To say that I’m a sub-par videographer would be an understatement, but you’re here for the soup… so let’s just remember that.
This creamy, cheesy soup haunts my Happy Food Dreams, y’all.
The leftovers freeze like gorgeous, creamy charm, too! Just put it in the fridge to thaw the night before you want to eat.
PSA: If you cry when you cut an onion, then you need these bad boys: ONION GOGGLES! Yes, they work! I use them every time I chop onions because otherwise the tears cloud my chopping judgement if you know what I mean.
Now, let me interrupt our regularly scheduled onion goggle programming to explain how to easily chop head (or two) of cauliflower.
First, cut the whole falootin’ thing in half.
Then, use the end of your knife to cut the florets along the stem of the cauliflower.
Keep cutting until you create a bunch of little cauliflower babies. I go into more detail on this in the ole video (hint, hint… go watch it)!
Next, toss 1/2 a chopped yellow onion into a slow cooker, then add in 3 minced garlic cloves.
Then add in your cauliflower florets that you’ve chopped so beautifully.
Next, pour in 5 cups of unsalted chicken or vegetable stock and sprinkle on 1/2 tsp. of dried thyme.
Then add in 1 bay leaf, a pinch of red chile flakes, 1 tsp. Kosher salt, and 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper.
Cover and cook on high for 6 hours or low for 10. You want your cauliflower to be fork-tender.
Next, add in 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream. Then sprinkle on 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese. Remove bay leaf.
Next, stir until everything has melted and turn the heat off.
Finally, using an immersion blender, blend the soup until your desired consistency. We like the soup to be puréed, so I will blend until the chunks of cauliflower are smooth.
If you don’t have an immersion blender, pour the soup into a blender. Don’t put the top on the blender! Instead, cover it with a kitchen towel and blend until smooth.
After that, just garnish with some chopped green onion and cooked bacon and chow down!
This easy gem is even on a video for you! Check it out…
It’s amazing how sinful this little bowl tastes, yet it’s very low on calories and carbs. I love a good lil’ foodie trick.
I hope this Slow Cooker Cheesy Cauliflower Soup finds a home in your belly (or your freezer) soon!
Slow Cooker Cheesy Cauliflower Soup
- ½ medium yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 medium heads cauliflower cut into florets
- 5 cups unsalted chicken stock or veggie stock
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- Pinch red chile flakes
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese 8 oz.
- Green onion chopped, for garnish
- 4 strips cooked bacon chopped, for garnish
- Combine all ingredients from onion to black pepper (not whipping cream, cheese, or garnishes) in your slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cook on high for 6 hours or low for 10. Once cauliflower is tender, stir in the heavy cream and cheddar cheese just until cheese has melted. Turn heat off and remove bay leaf.
- Using an immersion blender, blend until desired consistency. (If you don’t have an immersion blender, carefully ladle soup into a blender and blend. Be sure to leave the top slightly open so heat can escape.)
- Garnish with bacon bits and green onion.
- Leftovers freeze very well.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary, and Pineapple House Rules makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.