Rule #135: Healthy, easy lunches should be delicious, too!
These Mediterranean Turkey Burgers have been in constant rotation at our house since my sister-in-law first introduced us to them almost 10 years ago! I love to make a double batch, then wrap each burger individually in foil and freeze in a Ziploc bag. They could last for a few months in the freezer, but we tend to go through them pretty quickly. They make for such delicious, easy lunches on busy weekdays! I love to serve ours on top of butter lettuce, sprinkled with Feta cheese, and a dab of Tzatziki sauce!
You could, of course, serve yours on buns of your choice. We tend to just skip that part and keep it low carb for a healthier option.
First, combine all the yummy burger ingredients (minus the ground turkey) in a large bowl: Panko breadcrumbs, crumbled Feta cheese, red onion, green pesto, Kosher salt, black pepper, and garlic.
The best way to get the red onion to a good texture is to grate it on a cheese grater. I’ve found that even when I mince it very finely, I still sometimes get little bits of red onion in my bites of burger.
Just combine everything with the best kitchen tools you’ve got: your pretty little hands.
Then add in the ground turkey breast and mix just until combined.
Now, like I said earlier, I like to make a double batch of burgers so we have a ton of leftovers to freeze for later. Each batch yields 4 good sized burgers. Just form the patties with your hand, and then press your thumb in the middle of each of them to keep them from rising too much during grilling.
I use an indoor grill pan like this one to grill these burgers. Just spray the pan with cooking spray, then grill the burgers over medium-high heat until brown on both sides (about 3 minutes each).
Be sure to only flip your burgers once. Then, transfer the pan to the oven to finish cooking the inside (350 for about 8-10 minutes).
For outdoor grilling, grill over medium-high heat until cooked through, flipping just once during the cooking process.
Enjoy these easy, healthy Mediterranean Turkey Burgers that you can just pull from the freezer any ole time!
Mediterranean Turkey Burgers
- ½ cup plain Panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup 1 oz. crumbled Feta cheese
- 1 tbs. red onion minced or shredded
- 2 tbs. green pesto
- ¼ tsp. Kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey breast
- Combine all ingredients except turkey breast in a large bowl; mix just until combined. Add in the turkey breast and use your hands to combine the mixture. Divide into 4 equal portions, and shape into patties. Place your thumb in the middle of each patty to allow for even cooking.
For indoor grilling:
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Spray an oven-safe grill pan with cooking spray. Heat the pan over medium-high heat until the pan is hot enough so that if you drop a bit of water on it, you can hear a sizzle (about 5 minutes depending on you stove). Sear the burgers until brown on both sides (about 3 minutes per side). Only flip the burgers once during this time.
- Once both sides are brown, transfer the pan (carefully) to the oven. Bake until burgers are cooked through (about 10 minutes). Allow to rest 5 minutes before serving.
For outdoor grilling:
- Grill over medium-high heat until cooked through. Allow to rest 5 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with Greek yogurt tzatziki sauce.
- Cooked burgers can be wrapped in foil, placed in an airtight Ziploc bag, and stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Just remove from the freezer the night before you’d like to eat them and allow them to thaw in the fridge.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary, and Pineapple House Rules makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.