Rule #70: Eat your vegetables.
It’s the Low Carb Life over here at our house these days. We’re trying our best to eat a little better, but never at the loss of good flavor. This Low Carb Cheesy Beef and Vegetable Bake is a spin on traditional Stuffed Cabbage that would normally call for rice. Instead of going that route, I opted for cauliflower rice and shredded cabbage (and you can’t taste either, I promise)! It’s a bunch of Cheesy, Beefy, Vegetable-y goodness!
Here’s how we make our Low Carb Cheesy Beef and Vegetable Bake:
First, heat some olive oil in a large Dutch oven or skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Sauté a diced yellow onion until translucent. Then add in 2 minced garlic cloves; sauté until fragrant. Add in 1 lb. ground beef (sirloin).
While the onion is cooking, go ahead and get your spices together: Kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, paprika, smoked paprika (it’s okay to just use more of the regular if you don’t have smoked paprika), and dried thyme leaves.
Sprinkle the seasoning all over the beef and onion mixture. When the beef is about halfway done browning, you’re going to add in your riced cauliflower and shredded cabbage.
It looks like a lot, but the veggies cook down perfectly to make a nice balance with the meat.
Continue cooking until the meat is browned all the way and veggies have softened.
Add in a drained can of petite diced tomatoes and a can of tomato sauce. Take off the heat.
Add in about 2/3 of your pound of shredded Monterey Jack cheese. Give ‘er a stir.
Spread into an even layer in a baking dish coated with cooking spray.
Sprinkle on the rest of your cheese.
Now, at this point, you could cover with foil and refrigerate/freeze until you’re ready to bake it. If you freeze it, make sure you thaw it overnight in the fridge before baking it.
Bake at 350, uncovered, for 40 minutes.
Hello there, little Low Carb Lover.
This recipe makes 8 big servings each coming in at around 350 calories, 9g carbs, and 28g protein. Not too shabby.
Low Carb Cheesy Beef and Vegetable Bake
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced or pressed
- 1 lb. 90/10 ground sirloin
- ¾ tsp. Kosher salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika or just an additional tsp. of paprika
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 1 lb. riced cauliflower or 1 head cauliflower, finely chopped
- 8 oz. shredded cabbage purple and green mix is fine
- 1 can (14.5-oz.) petite diced tomatoes drained
- 1 8- oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 lb. Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large Dutch oven or skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add in the onion and sauté until translucent (about 8 minutes). Add in the garlic cloves; sauté an additional minute. Add in the ground beef and seasonings (salt through thyme leaves), stir to combine and cook until beef is about half way browned (about 5 minutes).
- Add in the cauliflower and cabbage, stir to combine, and cook until beef is browned all the way and vegetables have softened (about 5 minutes). Add in the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Remove from heat and add in about 2/3 of the shredded cheese.
- Spray a large casserole dish with cooking spray. Pour the beef mixture into the dish, spreading into an even layer. Top with remaining cheese.*
- Bake at 350, uncovered, for 40 minutes, until cheese is golden and bubbly. Garnish with chopped chives or flat-leaf parsley and serve with sour cream, if desired.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary, and Pineapple House Rules makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.