Rule #293: Delicious is sometimes five months in the making.
This amazingly easy and delicious Italian Pesto Chicken with Creamy Marinara has taken me no less than (you guessed it) five months to solidify. I love playing with a recipe until it’s as perfect as can be before sharing it in this little corner of the Internets. This simple dinner comes together so easily after a quick marinade of the chicken. It’s so comforting and satisfying when paired with some yummy pasta, too!
Nothing like a good ole Italian supper to make your tummy happy on busy nights!
First, start with a heaping tablespoon of green basil pesto.
Then, add 1/2 cup of Italian dressing.
Whisk together the marinade, then add in about a pound of chicken breast that’s been cut into bite-sized pieces. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the fridge for 1-3 hours.
Next, heat a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade and drain well. Brown the chicken on all sides (about 2 minutes per side).
Then add in a jar of your favorite marinara sauce (our favorite is Rao’s).
Then add in 1/4 cup heavy cream plus a pinch each of Kosher salt and black pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until chicken is cooked through (about 10 minutes).
We like to have our Italian Pesto Chicken with Creamy Marinara with some yummy pasta. Make sure when you’re boiling pasta that you heavily salt the water to the salinity of the sea. This adds a ton of flavor to the uncooked pasta.
Our favorite pasta is Banza pasta because it’s made from chickpeas. It has fewer net carbs and more protein that your typical pasta, so you won’t feel bloated the day after eating it! Winner, winner, pasta dinner.
Garnish your delicious dinner with some fresh basil and grated Parmesan, if desired. That delightful green sure does look awful purty.
We pair this delicious bowl of joy with a simple salad on the side. It makes for an easy, lighter dinner that will leave your taste buds mighty satisfied!
I hope you enjoy this simple meal that took me a delicious five months to finally perfect for you wonderful folks!
Italian Pesto Chicken with Creamy Marinara Sauce
- 1 heaping tbs. green pesto
- ½ cup Italian dressing
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 24- oz. jar marinara sauce our favorite is Rao’s
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- Pinch each of Kosher salt and black pepper
- Chopped basil for garnish
- Grated Parmesan for garnish
- Whisk together the green pesto and Italian dressing. Pour over chicken breast pieces, cover, and marinate for 1-3 hours in the fridge.
- Heat a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Remove chicken from marinade, drain well, and brown on all sides in the skillet (about 2 minutes per side). Pour in the marinara and heavy cream. Sprinkle on the salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer over medium-low heat until chicken is cooked through (about 10 minutes).
- Garnish with basil and Parmesan, if desired.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary, and Pineapple House Rules makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.