Rule #422: A little Marsala will make you holla.
I love me some Chicken Marsala. What makes the flavors even better is when they come in the form of Chicken Marsala MEATBALLS! They’re easy to make and taste even better the next day, just ask my hubs!
They’re savory little bites of comforting flavor. Our kids even gave their thumbs up!
To Make the Chicken Meatballs
First, mix together 2 eggs, 1 tbs. chopped chives, and 1 cup of plain Panko breadcrumbs.
Then, add in 1 tsp. lemon zest, 3/4 tsp. Kosher salt, and 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper.
Finally add in 2 lbs. of ground chicken. Mix until well combined.
How to Cook the Chicken Marsala Meatballs
If you’re cooking your meatballs in the Air Fryer, preheat it to 380. Spray the basket with cooking spray, then scoop 1 tbs. portions of the meatball mixture, roll, and place in the basket. Be sure to leave space so the meatballs have room to cook evenly. I usually get 9 meatballs per batch, and I do about 3 batches total. Air Fry at 380 for 4 minutes, shake the basket, then bake an additional 4 minutes.
If you’re baking your chicken meatballs in the oven, preheat the oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with foil, and spoon 1 tbs. portions of the chicken mixture, roll, and place onto the baking sheet. Be sure to place them evenly to ensure they bake well. Bake at 400 for 12 minutes, or until fully cooked through.
How to Make Marsala Sauce
To make the Marsala Sauce to go with your Chicken Marsala Meatballs, melt 10 tbs. of unsalted butter in a Dutch oven or skillet over medium-high heat. I realize this seems like a lot, but you’re making a big batch of meatballs. You’ll need a lot of sauce to go with those delicious bits!
Then, sauté a chopped yellow onion (about 8 minutes), stirring occasionally.
Third, pour in 2/3 cup of Marsala wine. This adds so much depth of flavor! Allow the sauce to reduce by half (about 4 minutes). This will make sure that the alcohol cooks off and is safe for kids.
Next, sprinkle on 6 tbs. of all-purpose flour. This will be the thickening part of your sauce. Stir to combine.
Then pour in 6 cups of unsalted chicken stock, stirring to combine. Don’t worry if the mixture appears lumpy; after simmering for a while, it will smooth itself out.
Now, sprinkle in 1/2 tsp. each of Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir your sauce together, cover, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to medium-low heat and simmer for 5 minutes, until the sauce comes together.
Pour in 4 tbs. of heavy cream and stir.
Finally, add your cooked meatballs to the sauce. Stir, cover, and cook another 2 minutes.
Serving Suggestions for Chicken Marsala Meatballs
I like to garnish our Chicken Marsala Meatballs with chopped chives or freshly chopped parsley. We serve ours over egg noodles or rice with a roasted vegetable or simple salad.
Oh these little bits of Marsala Madness are to die for! My husband even said that the leftovers were better than the first round! Feel free to freeze the cooked meatballs and make the sauce when you’re ready to eat, too.
Chicken Marsala Meatballs
Ground Chicken Meatballs
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbs chives chopped
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs plain
- 3/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 lbs ground chicken
- 10 tbs unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2/3 cup marsala wine
- 6 tbs all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken stock unsalted
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbs heavy cream
To Make the Chicken Meatballs
- In a standing mixer or large bowl, combine the first 6 ingredients (eggs through pepper). Whisk until well combined. Add in the ground chicken, mixing just until equally blended.
- Scoop 1 tbs. of the mixture and roll into a ball. Repeat with remaining ground chicken.
To Cook in the Air Fryer
- Preheat Air Fryer to 380. Spray basket with cooking spray. Evenly place meatballs in basket, leaving space in between (you will need to do 2-3 rounds of cooking). Bake at 380 for 4 minutes. Shake the basket to move the meatballs around. Bake another 4 minutes. Set cooked meatballs aside and keep warm while you make the sauce.
To Cook in the Oven
- Preheat the oven to 400. Place meatballs, evenly-spaced, on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake at 400 for 12 minutes, or until fully cooked. Set cooked meatballs aside and keep warm while you make the sauce.
To Make the Marsala Sauce
- In a large Dutch oven or skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion until translucent, about 8 minutes. Pour in the marsala wine, stir, and allow to reduce by half (about 4 minutes). Sprinkle on the flour, stir to combine, and cook for 1 additional minute. Pour in the chicken stock, salt, and pepper. Stir, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. (If the sauce isn’t smooth, continue to stir and cook until it comes together.)
- Reduce heat to low, then pour in the heavy cream and add the cooked meatballs to the pot. Stir, cover, and cook another 2 minutes.
- Serve over cooked egg noodles or rice. Garnish with chopped chives or parsley.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary, and Pineapple House Rules makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.