Simple, Scrumptious Meatloaf
Rule #228: Meatloaf isn’t sexy, but it is delicious.
I’ve wanted to post this recipe for YEARS, but I’ve never been able to snag a good photo. The pics you see are, sadly, the best I could get. They don’t do this homestyle, comforting, take-you-back-to-Mama’s-house recipe justice. I love this meatloaf because it’s simple, scrumptious, and doesn’t have any sauce on top. Now, no offense to you top-saucer-folks. Everyone does meatloaf differently. I just happen to love this version most of all!
My sister-in-law gave me this gem inside the recipe book my mother-in-law gave to me when Jon Boy and I got married. It’s been a family favorite ever since! My sister-in-law actually used to request this on her birthday because it was her favorite meal. I can’t blame her. It’s one of mine, too!
First, tear up 1 piece of white or wheat bread into tiny pieces into a 1 cup measuring cup.
Fill in the rest of the cup with plain breadcrumbs. Make sure to shake the crumbs a bit so they sift into the bread pieces.
Now, add the breadcrumbs + bread pieces to 1 beaten egg, a packet of Lipton Onion Soup Mix, 1/4 cup ketchup, and 1/2 cup water. Mix it all until combined.
Then throw in 1 – 1 1/2 lbs. ground sirloin (90/10). Your choice on the amount of meat! Combine well with your hands.
Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray so the deliciousness doesn’t stick. Form the meat into a loaf, pressing with your fingers to make an even layer. Bake at 350 for about 35-45 minutes (37 seems to always be the perfect time for my sister-in-law and for me).
Voila! Dinner is done. You can also freeze individual pieces or the whole thing in foil + a Ziploc. Thaw overnight in the fridge and heat up for dinner the next day! This is always a great thing to have on hand for busy weeks for us and the kiddos.
I hope you love this Simple Scrumptious Meatloaf as much as we do!
Simple Scrumptious Meatloaf
- 1 slice bread plain wheat or white*
- Plain breadcrumbs
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 package Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 1 lb. 90/10 ground sirloin or 1½ lbs. if you’d like more meat per portion
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Tear the bread into tiny pieces into a 1 cup measuring cup. Sprinkle plain breadcrumbs on top of the breadcrumbs, gently shaking to sift the crumbs down into the cracks of the bread until you fill the cup. Pour into a large bowl. Add the egg, water, ketchup, and soup mix. Combine well with a fork. Add in the beef and mix with your hands until well combined.
- Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray. Press the beef mixture into the loaf pan, pressing gently with your fingers to form an even layer.
- Bake at 350 for 37-45 minutes (37 is the perfect number for us usually).
- Let rest for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- *Instead of tearing the bread into small pieces and combining with breadcrumbs, you could just substitute 1 cup of plain breadcrumbs.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary, and Pineapple House Rules makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
2 thoughts on “Simple, Scrumptious Meatloaf”
This is a lot like my meatloaf! I usually bake potatoes at the same time. Oven does double duty.
That is a great idea! I love it!